About Diploma in Education and Training
FUNDED, NON FUNDED OPTIONS AVAILABLE
TrustScore 4.4 | 42 reviews
Applied Business Academy in Dockland-London offers Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET) course with the approval of the City & Guilds. The City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training prepares trainee teachers and trainers to teach in a wide range of contexts. The DET qualification is recognized as one of the Initial Teacher Education (ITE) qualifications under Society for Education and Training (SET), and can lead to Qualified Teacher of Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
Course Delivery and Support
Allocation of Tutor with on-going support via email and telephone Virtual Learning Environment, candidates must complete all online learning within the portal
Skills you will gain
After finishing the course the students will be able to develop and demonstrate the knowledge of skills and attributes detailed below.
- Knowledge of theories and principles for inclusive learning and teaching
- Knowledge and critical understanding of strategies and support communication for assessment and meeting individual learning needs
- Understanding of the concept and use of initial and diagnostic assessment
- Knowledge of roles and responsibilities and relationship in education and training
- Appreciate the importance of delivering the minimum core effectively
- The ability to investigate good practice in own subject area
- Understand how to use, study skills, techniques enhance the student experience
- Be able to develop specialist delivery techniques
- Be able to promote positive behaviour
- Develop personal growth and engagement in learning
- Ability to learn reflectively, develop skills and understand the limits of own knowledge
- Ability to complete investigations and effectively communicate results
The qualifications in education and training have been developed for those intending to work in the post 16 education and training sector. The spectrum of providers in the sector is immense including further education colleges, adult and community education providers, offender education, work based learning providers, the third / voluntary sector and a plethora of independent training organisations. There are over 4 million students in further education colleges alone.
Who could take this qualification?
The target audience is people who are or aspire to be professionally involved with Education and Training such as:
- Employers of teachers and trainers (including colleges of further education, independent training providers, local authorities, the third sector, the military, uniformed services, young offender institutions, prison education and the probation service)
- Human resource (HR) managers and line managers
- Staff development managers
- Newly employed teachers and trainers and existing staff
- Course providers and teacher educators
- Awarding organisations
- Union branches and their branch learning representatives
- Those considering teaching as a career.
The strengths of the Diploma in Education and Training lie in its response to need, cost-effectiveness, academic rigour and support of an outstanding student experience.
|Tuition Fees||£5800 per year|
The City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training prepares trainee teachers and trainers to teach in a wide range of contexts. To achieve the qualification, there is a requirement for teaching practice that requires observation and assessment of performance.
The qualification can meet the needs of a range of trainee teachers and trainers, including:
- Individuals who are not currently teaching and training but who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements of the qualification
- Individuals who are currently teaching and training, including those who have just begun teaching and training and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements, of the qualification
- Individuals currently working as assessors who wish to achieve a teaching qualification and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice, of the qualification.
- BTEC Level 3 qualification in a related subject area
- GCE Advanced Level profile demonstrating strong performance in a relevant subject (likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C)
- Other related Level 3 qualification
- Access to a Higher Education Certificate or relevant work experience
- Applicants must have access to 100 hours of teaching practice. Applicants must provide proof of having arranged or confirmed work placement.
- Non-native English speaking students or those who haven’t studied the final two years of school in English that can demonstrate capability in English at a standard equivalent to IELTS 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 awarded on individual sections
Students will need to meet the requirements outlined in the table below before the City & Guilds can award the qualification, i.e. achieve the appropriate mandatory and optional units, as well as satisfactorily complete teaching practice.
The Module structure is as follows:
|Mandatory units||Level||Credit value||Guided learning hours|
|All units must be achieved from this group|
|Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training||4||20||65|
|Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training||5||20||65|
|Theories, principles and models in education and training||5||20||60|
|Wider professional practice and development in education and training||5||15||50|
Optional units group
|Teaching in a specialist area||4||15||50|
At Applied Business Academy, we tailor our training to suit your needs, and the cost of our training programmes always aim to exceed the value you get out of them.
Depending on the course you choose, the duration and cost differ. We have outlined the 3 possible ways to help you get the financial support to cover the cost of this course.
Funding & Grants
This course will be offered in partnership with North East Surrey College of Technology (NESCOT). Students may be admitted to this course through NESCOT, which will be determined at the admissions stage.
Under our collaborative partnership with NESCOT, each successful applicant will be officially registered as a NESCOT student. Students will have access to all the teaching, learning and supporting facilities offered by the Academy.
Please speak to our Course Advisor to find out further if you qualify for this funding option, and your requirements.
The Academy is in the process of developing a partnership arrangement with NESCOT for Higher Education provision that will allow the Academy to deliver its courses. However, these arrangements are in the final stage.
You could opt to pay upfront or discuss a payment plan for the full cost of the course with our advisors.
What we can help by
- Providing course outcomes along with a comprehensive training programme tailored for your company
- Establish communication with your finance/ HR departments to arrange payment options
- Outline the Terms and Conditions that apply
Speak to a Course Advisor for full information on the options available to you
Your current employer can support your cost for this course either in part or full. Please discuss with our course advisor if you are looking for full information on this finance option available to you.
What will you get in return?
You can convert your Diploma in Education and Training into a full bachelor’s degree by taking a one-year top-up programme at various institutions around the UK, or seek a career as a teacher.
Get ready for a promising career in Teaching
Upon successful completion of the City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
students can develop their careers in teaching through:
- Complete portfolios with SET to achieve Qualified Teacher of Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
- Progress to a BA in Education / Bachelor of Education (BEd). The DET qualification is recognized as equivalent to the Certificate of Education qualifications in the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications. Students who have achieved the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training can progress to further higher education studies (Level 6) in Bachelor of Education (BEd) or BA (Hons) Education at numerous universities in the UK.
- Gain employment in various positions ranging from functional skills teacher, online/e-tutors, further education teacher, tutor to training officer and manager.